Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fabulous Fall Rhymes


Now that I have a two-year-old, I am trying to teach her some fun seasonally-related rhymes and finger plays.  Rhymes are very important and helpful in teaching language skills to young children.  Here are a few we have been doing. Do you have any to add?



Counting Apples
A fingerplay
Five red apples
Hanging on a tree    
(five fingers held up)
The juiciest apples you ever did see!

The wind came past
And gave an angry
frown     (shake head and look angry)
And one little apple came tumbling down.

Four red apples, etc.


Squirrels
Counting poem

Five little squirrels sitting in a tree.
The first one said, “What do I see?”
The second one said, “Some nuts on the ground.”
The third one said, “Those nuts I found.”
The fourth one said, “I’ll race you there.”
The Fifth one said, “All right, that’s fair.”
So they shook their tails and ran with glee.
To the nuts that lay at the foot of the tree.


I’m a Little Pumpkin
Tune: “I’m A Little Teapot”
I’m a little pumpkin,
Orange and round.
You can talk to me
I can’t make a sound.
But if you scoop me out
And put a candle in,
Carve me a face,
I can grin and grin!


Falling Leaves
Tune: “London Bridges Falling Down”

Pretty leaves are falling down, falling down, falling down.
Pretty leaves are falling down, all over town.
Some are orange and some are brown, some are brown, some are brown.
Some are orange and some are brown, watch the leaves fall down.
Some are yellow and some are red, some are red, some are red.
Some are yellow and some are red, leaves fall on my head.


Counting Apples and Squirrels are from Preschool Rainbow.
I’m a Little Pumpkin and Falling Leaves are by Jean Warren and are posted on Preschool Express.

No comments:

Post a Comment